Mitchy112 intoduce.

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
mitchy112

Mitchy112 intoduce.

Post by mitchy112 »

Hello I'm mitchy112.
My real name is Mitch, I'm 14 years old and i live in the Netherlands.
i recently saw some water rockets (there was a tournament in our neigbourhood) so i watched and there were 1 or 2 professional teams.
I tought Wow amazing i want that too, so i just bought some soda bottle and I'm going to start with a new hobby.
My father will help me with the launch pad. And with the water rocket itself till i got a nice one and can build them myself.
I came to this forum when i was searching for a tutorial on how to make a launch pad.
Didn't find anything yet.

Greetz Mitchy112 ;)
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

hi micth, i use a calk launcher with a cable tie relise. this is cheap and easy to make but it can leak at around 80-100psi. i used a plastic wine calk, 3 cable ties a 2cm long pipe with an inside diametre of 37mm and the the smallest pvc pipe u can find. the glue i use is araldite (A, B glue)

ill post pictures and instructions later
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Mitchy112 intoduce.

Post by Mark Chen »

mitchy112 wrote:Hello I'm mitchy112.
My real name is Mitch, I'm 14 years old and i live in the Netherlands.
i recently saw some water rockets (there was a tournament in our neigbourhood) so i watched and there were 1 or 2 professional teams.
I tought Wow amazing i want that too, so i just bought some soda bottle and I'm going to start with a new hobby.
My father will help me with the launch pad. And with the water rocket itself till i got a nice one and can build them myself.
I came to this forum when i was searching for a tutorial on how to make a launch pad.
Didn't find anything yet.

Greetz Mitchy112 ;)
Welcome Mitchy!

I was thinking the other day of making a tutorial on how to make a launcher. I'm just busy so I will do it in my spare time. Keep your eyes open because it's going to be really cool! I have some neat ideas!
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
mitchy112

Post by mitchy112 »

thank you for those nice reactions!
I'll keep my eyes open for that tutorial ;)
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

mitchy112 wrote:thank you for those nice reactions!
I'll keep my eyes open for that tutorial ;)
This might be a silly question, but does anyone know if there's a chart that shows the common sizes that pipes are available for in different countries? In the US we use imperial units but in other parts of the world they use metric. Are the pipes different sized everywhere or are they all the same size and the units just change? If Mark makes a tutorial it would be good to spell out the sizes for different countries.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
mitchy112

Post by mitchy112 »

i think that they are all same sized but we don't have 1.25l bottles here, so that would be a problem.
And those refill bottles that we used here are gone now they stopped with it. :(
Daan.[D&P]Rockets*
Current WRA2 Flight Duration World Record Holder
Current WRA2 Flight Duration World Record Holder

Post by Daan.[D&P]Rockets* »

Hi Mitch,

I saw that you had signed my guestbook on my site. I answered it. So have a look :)
I am working on a new tutorial of our latest launcher. We have a launcher for a year or so, but i never posted it on the internet. It will be on the internet verry soon. And its a nice launcher. That can wearstand pressures of 15 bar!

You have the same problem as we have. No more hard bottles. It will be hard to get a new weaker bottle as high as the old one's.

Good luck!
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Daan.[D&P]Rockets* wrote:Hi Mitch,

I saw that you had signed my guestbook on my site. I answered it. So have a look :)
I am working on a new tutorial of our latest launcher. We have a launcher for a year or so, but i never posted it on the internet. It will be on the internet verry soon. And its a nice launcher. That can wearstand pressures of 15 bar!

You have the same problem as we have. No more hard bottles. It will be hard to get a new weaker bottle as high as the old one's.

Good luck!
Can you guys explain a little bit more about the "hard bottles"? I am curious to know what the purpose for them was and what they were made out of and why they don't make them any longer. Does anyobody know more about this?
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
mitchy112

Post by mitchy112 »

We had some bottles like coca cola that you couldn't press in you know if you have your bottle squeeze it.
But our first bottles were so hard that you couldn't squeeze them at all.
They could hold high pressures.
but if it explodes you got a huge problem :(
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

mitchy112 wrote:We had some bottles like coca cola that you couldn't press in you know if you have your bottle squeeze it.
Do you know what the max pressure these bottles will hold?
Andromeda
No matter where you go, there you are.
- Buckaroo Bansia
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

Brian wrote:hi micth, i use a calk launcher with a cable tie relise. this is cheap and easy to make but it can leak at around 80-100psi. i used a plastic wine calk, 3 cable ties a 2cm long pipe with an inside diametre of 37mm and the the smallest pvc pipe u can find. the glue i use is araldite (A, B glue)

ill post pictures and instructions later
in the picture i show how the cable ties relisethe rocket. i used a pipe 10mm wide inside the calk to expand it to fit in the bottle. if the calk is spungy and it leaks put silicone on top and pressurize it.
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
mitchy112

Post by mitchy112 »

Andromeda wrote:
mitchy112 wrote:We had some bottles like coca cola that you couldn't press in you know if you have your bottle squeeze it.
Do you know what the max pressure these bottles will hold?
i don't know sorry because i started too late with water rockets to know that.
Maybe D&P knows that.
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

We have some bottles here like this that friends sent us from different states and they are stiffer then the bottles we use but when we tried to use them for rockets we had problems because these bottles are just made from 2 layers of plastic, as if they just put one bottle inside another and molded them. When you try and splice them together the layers peel apart and so they don't hold any more pressure than before.

Is this the same with the hard bottles you have?
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
mitchy112

Post by mitchy112 »

Tim Chen wrote:
We have some bottles here like this that friends sent us from different states and they are stiffer then the bottles we use but when we tried to use them for rockets we had problems because these bottles are just made from 2 layers of plastic, as if they just put one bottle inside another and molded them. When you try and splice them together the layers peel apart and so they don't hold any more pressure than before.

Is this the same with the hard bottles you have?
No they were one layer but it was a pretty big layer of plastic it was nice.
But they were unsafe if u want to burst test they were like pvc but they appear on x-ray but it hurts pretty bad.
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

I wish we had these bottles. I'm very jealous!
:x
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise